Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Career Shadow

Wow, what an experience!!

On June 30, 2008, Shannon and I went Felsburg Holt & Ullevig, on 11422 Miracle Hills Drive. We shadowed engineer professionals. Matt and Alison were the two people that we met. Throughout the whole experience, I changed my ways of seeing engineer career; I learned lots of new things as well as knowing more on how and what engineers really do. Matt and Alison explained to us all types of engineer, though they have different roles and requirements but they all related to each other in one way or another.

Overall the experience really helps me knowing what to do to get closer to my dream career. I was so surprised when I saw thick books and folders that each engineer has to read/look over for every project that they work on. In my mind I was thinking that it is not necessary to have all those thick books and folders to create a thing. It became more complicated as I thought about it. I thought being an engineer is really simple but it is a different world from what I’ve experienced. Like Matt has mentioned to us, each project that an engineer work on can take many years to complete, during that time there are lots of things that an engineer has to do. Being an engineer is really busy and also very competitive.

The whole career shadow experience really helps and prepares me on what I need to do when I step into the engineer world. It gives me a head start of what I need to get done or need to do to fit that career. It takes a lot of hard works and effort to become an engineer, but I think I’m ready for it. This experience has made me become more interest in engineer career. I really hope that someday I could use my imagination of design things and apply it into reality to make this world a better place.

No comments: